A family favourite, best nut roast I’ve every eaten. Go on, give meat a rest and go nuts!
What you will need for your Nut Roast
1 medium onion
25g (1oz) butter
225grams (8 ozs) Mixed raw nuts eg: peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews etc.
100g (4oz) wholemeal bread
300ml (1/4 pint) vegetable stock
2 tsp Marmite
Dried mixed herbs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Optional cheesy savoury layer to go in the middle ( I love this:))…
Sliced tomatoes, fresh basil and grated cheese ( mozzarella and cheddar taste good together).
How to make your Nut Roast
1. Preheat the oven to 180’C / 350’F / Gas mark 4
2. Chop the onions and saute in the butter until transparent.
3. Grind the nuts and bread together in a liquidiser or coffee grinder until quite fine.
4. Heat the stock and yeast extract to boiling point, then combine all the ingredients together and mix well – the mixture should be fairly slack. Use slightly less liquid if you are going to put the cheesy savoury mixture in the middle.
5. Turn into a greased loaf tin. If you would like to put the cheese and tomato savoury layer in the middle, just fill tin with half the mixture and then place a layers of tomato, cheese and basil and top with the rest of the nut mixture.
6.Level the mixture off and sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs (not essential) and bake for 30 mins until golden brown.
Serve hot with a tomato and basil sauce or slice up cold with a salad. Delicious.
To make this extra special for Christmas, place half the mixture into the tin and then place slices of Brie and dried cranberries over and then add the rest of the nut roast mixture, absolutely delicious.
Originally from Cranks whole food recipe book.