8 medium red onions
1 red chill
3 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
25ml olive oil
200g dark brown sugar
150ml balsamic vinegar
150ml red wine vinegar
Splash of Worcester sauce
1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard
Pinch of salt and paprika
1. Peel and slice the onions finely. Place in a thick bottomed pan with the olive oil and crushed garlic. Cook over a very gentle heat for 10 minutes, making sure the onions do not colour but are soft.
2. Add the brown sugar and stir over a low heat for another 5-10mins.
3. Add all the other ingredients and simmer over a medium heat stirring every now and then this will probably take about an hour. The marmalade will be ready when most of the liquid has reduce and you are left with a sticky caramelised mixture.
4. Tip into sterilised jars and seal. Kilner jars are good for this.
5. Once opened store in fridge.
This marmalade goes well with strong cheeses and makes a wonderful gift for a foodie.