I made a batch of these during my stay in Australia. I didn’t have my usual recipe with me so I found this Aussie one and according to the testers they were amazing!
You will need
1/3 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
250g (8ozs) good quality dark chocolate
250g (8ozs) butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
4 lightly beaten eggs
A lined and greased 20cm (8″) square shallow tin
How to make your Brownies
- Set oven to fan160C/conventional 180C/gas 4.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl add the sugar and nuts and mix well.
- Chop the chocolate into chunks and add to the dry ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add to all the dry ingredients, along with the vanilla essence and the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tin and cook for approx 20-25 mins, so the brownies are still soft in the middle but not to the point of being wobbly if you slighty shake the tin, it should just look slightly underdone.The top should have a shiny papery crust and the sides just coming away from the edge. Cooking time is the key to a good soft chewy brownie, so my advice would be to always slightly undercook than over cook.
- Leave to cool in tin and then cut into squares. Store in an airtight tin and hide!